domenica 13 aprile 2008

Skype exchange

The topic of the last skype exchange has been 'political elections'. We had a great discussion because both in Italy and in the USA we're going to vote.

Our conversation pointed out the differences between the two countries. For example we noteced that in the USA the political campaign is open while in Italy there's no real confrontation. I mean, the American leaders met on TV to talk about their electoral programmes, for example. On the contrary, in Italy, Veltroni and Berlusconi do all their best to avoid a face-to-face confrontation. This is strange, isn't it?
Besides, we talked about the media and the press. We noticed how in America there's more attention towards the families of the candidates than in Italy, where the first ladies stay behind the scenes.
Finally I noticed that we (Italian students) were much more informed about American elections than the American peer was about Italian ones.

As a conlusion I'd like to report my post published in 'blogginenglish1' about my intention to vote or not:

"I’m fed up with politics but I’m going to vote!
Yesterday evening I watched BBC and I felt very embarrassed. There was a reportage on Italian elections. The journalist gave a perfect report of the Italian situation: a farce! He even named the elements of this farce:
-there are always the same politicians: one travels by bus far and wide, the other one thinks to be God … “Per fortuna che Silvio c’è…”
-there is no confrontation between the different fronts but just a tit-for-tat through press releases


I perfectly agree with this journalist. But, in spite of everything I’m going to vote because if you renounce the right of vote, you renounce democracy."

Let me know what do you think...

Nessun commento: